Insurance & Damage
What happens if my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere?
Renting Cars on Northbound
There is a full-to-full policy with all rentals. If you receive the rental car with a full tank, you give it back with a full tank. If you receive the rental car with half a tank, you give it back with half a tank. Just make sure that the rental agent notes down the status of the fuel tank when you receive the car.
You can rent as many cars as you like, provided you have the necessary amount of drivers with you to drive them.
In some cases, yes. It would depend on the vehicle you have chosen and what extras that supplier offers.
Yes, as long as they meet all of the requirements made.
In most cases, no. The rental agency requires a valid credit card in the main driver’s name for excess/deposit purposes. This deposit ensures that the customer can cover any damage to the vehicle and / or equipment.
You can do it all online in a matter of minutes. First you select the dates you wish to rent for and then search through our vast selection. The search engine is engineered to only display the cars that are actually available from over 16 car rentals, so if you see it in the search then you can book it.
From there you select the vehicle you would like and proceed to the vehicle page. On the vehicle page you select the location for pickup and dropoff, the extra insurances you would like and any extras you have your mind set on. Once you've done all that you can proceed to the cart page where you can take care of payment, and after you do, the booking gets confirmed immediately and you receive all documents via e-mail.
The required age may vary depending on the car rental that you choose. The usual minimum age is 20 and sometimes higher for larger vehicles. Contact us if you’re having issues with the minimum age and we might be able to direct you to the right rental.
If you need to make changes to your booking please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with all the details and we will promptly modify your booking. Modifying your booking may trigger a price change, or additional charges due to added days, items, insurance or conversion rates. This change may inflict charges or a refund to your card depending on the amount added/deducted from your booking.
If you find a way how, you can drive to the moon and back. With all rentals you'll have unlimited mileage to go where you please.
To book your rental car, all you need is a credit card. When you arrive to claim the car you'll need:
- Your Northbound voucher / eVoucher, as proof of the chosen payment.
- The main driver's full, valid driving license which they've held for at least 6 months.
- Your passport and any other ID the car rental company needs to see.
- Any valid credit card in the main driver’s name for excess/deposit purposes. Pre-paid credit cards are generally not accepted.
Conditions vary from individual car rental agencies so please make sure to read the car's terms and conditions.
Once the payment has been processed an automated e-mail should be dispatched with your booking information, including the voucher and invoice. If after making sure the messages did not go to your spam folder you can contact us through email@example.com or on Facebook.
You can also log into you account on northbound and head on over to our bookings page where you can download your receipt/voucher.
If your domestic license is written in English/Roman letters, then you can use that. If it is written in Slavic, Chinese, Arabarian or any other alphabet form than the standard English then you must bring an international driver's license.
That depends entirely on the location you select when you make your booking. You will find all information regarding the procedure in the location description.
Your booking is confirmed immediately after you book. If there is any issue with your booking we will contact you right away and help you along any way we can.
Insurance & Damage
In a few cases, yes. But, for the overwhelming majority of rentals on Northbound, the usual procedure consists of imprinting your credit card and keeping it on file for the duration of your rental. No deposit required.
The insurances are there for a reason. They provide security and peace of mind so that you can enjoy your Icelandic adventure happy and without worry. Each optional insurance targets different scenarios in which the standard CDW does not cover.
- Gravel Protection - Most of the roads in Iceland, outside of towns, are not paved. Even Route 1, Iceland’s longest and most driven road, isn’t fully paved. The Gravel Protection usually covers damages from gravel roads to the body of the car, the headlights and the front windscreen.
- Sand and Ash Protection - We all remember the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. The fact is, loose ash and fine sand still cover much of the terrain in certain areas of Iceland. As the wind blows, the ash and sand may whirl up and blow towards anything and anyone unlucky enough to be in its path. This may cause serious damages to the car and gives it an undesired, matte finish. Icelandic insurance companies do not cover damages such as this in the regular CDW policies, which is why this protection is offered as an optional damage waiver, covering sand and ash damage to your rental car.
- Theft Protection - Iceland may be one of the safest countries in the world but, believe it or not, crime still happens here. The theft protection lowers the lessee’s self-risk down to 0 EUR in the case of vehicle theft. It may be worth it for the added peace of mind. Bare in mind though, in the case of gross negligence this protection may be void.
- Super Collision Damage Waiver - An upgrade to the standard Collision Damage Waiver, lowering the self-risk of the lessee considerably. Note: amounts may vary depending on which car rental you choose.
This depends on what type of credit card you have. Please contact your credit card supplier for detailed information regarding your coverage.
You can contact the emergency number given on your voucher in case of breakdowns. All Northbound car rentals offer 24/7 emergency service.
Driving in Iceland
If your vehicle is a 4x4 then in all likelihood it is Highland Capable, but some smaller 4x4’s are forbidden on F-roads. Certain roads, such as F249 in Þórsmörk, are usually forbidden to drive no matter what rental car you have chosen.
No. Off-road driving is illegal in Iceland and will result in a fine, issued by police, of up to 100.000 ISK.
That depends entirely on what you intend to do while you’re in Iceland. If you’re coming during winter then a 4x4 is the safest and most comfortable choice for handling the snow. It’s also a comfortable choice as you roam through the Icelandic roads, some of which are not paved and may prove a challenge for smaller vehicles.
They are considerably narrower than what you may be accustomed to in your own country, so please be careful and pay close attention to www.road.is/ for road conditions and troubling weather.
The ring road can be done in about 7 days, but if you want to thoroughly enjoy it then we recommend at least 12 days for the journey.
No. Not unless a specific passenger has been signed on as an extra driver. Please choose Extra Driver under extras when you booked the vehicle to arrange for an additional driver in the contract.
You are responsible for the payment of any traffic violations and all tickets issued to your vehicle during the period you have rented.
Payment & Pricing
Are there any additional charges that I must pay when I pick up my car?
If you have opted to pay 15% with Northbound then you will be charged the remaining 85% when you arrive to pick up your car. Any extra items or insurances you add to the booking after you have arrived will then be charged along with the 85%.
If you have opted to pay the total price of the rental (100%) through the Northbound booking site then you will not have to pay for anything when you arrive to pick up your car, with the exception of anything you decide to add to your booking upon arrival.
Yes. Mandatory insurances such as Collision Damage Waiver and Third Party Liability are always included in the rental price. All airport fees, road fees or local taxes are also included in the rental price. Some car rentals may even choose to include additional insurances or extras.
Yes. You can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel or change your booking. We will respond and resolve your request as soon as possible.
The Northbound cancellation policy is stated in our terms & agreement which you will have to agree to before booking your car, and is as follows:
Bookings can be cancelled free of charge for a full refund up to 48 hours before the start of the rental period. Bookings cancelled less than 48 hours are subject to a cancellation fee equal to the cost of a 3-day rental. Cancellation fees will never be higher than the price of the actual rental.
If the vehicle cannot be picked up due to any of the following:
- Insufficient documentation
- Failure to provide a valid credit card containing sufficient funds to cover the deposit amount.
- Failure to collect the car at the specified time / date.
Refunds are not available for no-show cases.
Some rental car companies may have a supplementary cancellation policy. Please make sure to check the terms and conditions for your rental.
When you book through Northbound you can choose to pay only 15% of the total amount. The remaining 85% will then be paid upon arrival to the car rental. The payment method for booking is credit cards only. If your payment does not go through, please check whether you fulfill these requirements:
- Is your card a credit card?
- Does your card have sufficient funds available?
- Does your bank approve foreign transactions?
If the answer is yes to all of these, please contact email@example.com and we will help you out.