Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a 4x4 to completely experience Iceland?
It'll take you a few years to experience Iceland fully, with everything it has to offer. The only reason you might ever need a 4x4 would be during extreme winters or if the urge to venture up into the highlands strikes you. Most of the roads in Iceland can be easily passed in small economical cars.
So I can drive the entire ring road and the roads to attractions in my hatchback?
Indeed! The entire ring road is passable for the majority of the year, with the exception of a small portion in the south-east called Öxi. You are much better off going all the way east and driving up through the beautiful fjords. Most of the greatest attractions around the ring road such as Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Reynisfjara, Jökulsárlón and the entire Golden Circle are easily accessible to economical cars.
What about the gravel roads? Couldn't the car be damaged?
Of course, the risk of gravel damage is slightly decreased in a raised 4x4 vehicle but that's what the gravel protection is for. We never recommend renting a car without the gravel protection as there are so many gravel roads in Iceland. Better to be safe than sorry.
What insurances do I need?
The insurances are there for a reason. They provide security and peace of mind so that you can enjoy your Icelandic adventure happy and without worry. Each optional insurance targets different scenarios in which the standard CDW does not cover.
- Gravel Protection
Most of the roads in Iceland, outside of towns, are not paved. Even Route 1, Iceland’s longest and most driven road, isn’t fully paved. The Gravel Protection usually covers damages from gravel roads to the body of the car, the headlights and the front windscreen.
- Sand and Ash Protection
We all remember the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. The fact is, loose ash and fine sand still cover much of the terrain in certain areas of Iceland. As the wind blows, the ash and sand may whirl up and blow towards anything and anyone unlucky enough to be in its path. This may cause serious damages to the car and gives it an undesired, matte finish. Icelandic insurance companies do not cover damages such as this in the regular CDW policies, which is why this protection is offered as an optional damage waiver, covering sand and ash damage to your rental car.
- Theft Protection
Iceland may be one of the safest countries in the world but, believe it or not, crime still happens here. The theft protection lowers the lessee’s self-risk down to 0 EUR in the case of vehicle theft. It may be worth it for the added peace of mind. Bare in mind though, in the case of gross negligence this protection may be void.
- Super Collision Damage Waiver
An upgrade to the standard Collision Damage Waiver, lowering the self-risk of the lessee considerably. Note: amounts may vary depending which car rental you choose.
Can I drive off-road?
No. Off-road driving is illegal in Iceland and will result in a fine, issued by police, of up to 100.000 ISK.
Can I collect the car if I don’t have a credit card?
In most cases, no. The rental agency requires a valid credit card in the main driver’s name for excess/deposit purposes. This deposit ensures that the customer can cover any damage to the vehicle and / or equipment.
Can I book a rental car for someone else?
Yes, as long as they meet all of the requirements made.
Are all fees and taxes included in the rental price?
Yes. Mandatory insurances such as Collision Damage Waiver and Third Party Liability are always included in the rental price. All airport fees, road fees or local taxes are also included in the rental price. Some car rentals may even choose to include additional insurances or extras.
Are there any additional charges that I must pay when I pick up my car?
If you have opted to pay 15% with Northbound then you will be charged the remaining 85% when you arrive to pick up your car. Any extra items or insurances you add to the booking after you have arrived will then be charged along with the 85%.
If you have opted to pay the total price of the rental (100%) through the Northbound booking site then you will not have to pay for anything when you arrive to pick up your car, with the exception of anything you decide to add to your booking upon arrival.
How old must I be to rent a car in Iceland?
The required age may vary depending on the car rental that you choose. The usual minimum age is 20 and sometimes higher for larger vehicles. Contact us if you’re having issues with the minimum age and we might be able to direct you to the right rental.