The Explorer from Skaftafell takes you all the way. Take a close look at the glacier Ice-fall in all it's power. With your guide leading the way you will soon be exploring dramatic terrain, walking through a wonderland of ice formations and brilliant blue colors.
- Falljökull Glacier
- Half-Day Glacier Hike
After exploring Iceland's glaciers for over a decade with visitors from around the world we quickly found that it´s just not the same to look at an ice fall cascading down from a 2000m high caldera from a distance. You need to be in it to fully appreciate the force and size. We created the Explorer trip to give our guests this experience.
Departing from Skaftafell we drive our bus to the front of Falljökull glacier (Falling Glacier). We start our walk along a winding path through the ever changing landscape carved out by the glacier. Arriving at the tongue of the glacier we will gear up on crampons and after a quick safety briefing and practice we head up towards the ice-fall. With your guide leading the way you will soon be exploring dramatic terrain, walking through a wonderland of ice formations and brilliant blue colors. You will have plenty of time to take in the vast panoramic views of the surrounding mountains as we make our way to the rugged and majestic ice fall.
- English Guidance
- All necessary glacier gear
- Transportation to and from Skaftafell
This trip will provide you with plenty of photo opportunities and the chance to gain a thorough understanding of this magnificent glacier, how it is formed and how it continues to change shape everyday.
Equipment List for Glacier Day Tours
Please note that the glacier hikes range from 3 hours to 7 hours so depending on the length of your tour you may be able to get away without some of the things on this list.
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
- Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
How do we get there?
Glacier Guides Booking House in Skaftafell (next to the Visitor Center) 30 min. prior to departure