Thanks for inquiring about my trip.
First, we LOVED Iceland. It was absolutely fantastic. We enjoyed the raw nature, Reykjavik, the people, the food, the moss, the baths and so much more. The temperature though... there could be some improvements ;)
Joke aside, for the rental, I will copy below the email I sent back to Icerental4x4 after their request for comments. You'll find the details explaining why I gave this score. By the way, as you will see below, I did NOT get a Tucson.
I you want to discuss more about this, feel free to write me back.
--- Copy of email sent ---
Now, about the rental… It’s unfortunately a mixed bag.
The good things:
• The check-out process was fairly quick and easy.
• The car color was nice. A joyful red, far better that something plain like gray.
• The driving assistance equipment was fine (collision warning, GPS).
• The car was reliable with no serious issues (see below).
The bad things:
• I did not get the car I ordered. I specifically requested a 2019+ Hyundai Tucson Diesel. On arrival, I was told it was not available anymore, the car being broken according to the representative. I was provided with a Suzuki Vitara 2018 Gas.
Although the gas and diesel price is about the same in Iceland, the millage done with a diesel tank is significantly greater. Therefore, I estimated that I paid close to twice the money I should have because of the gas powered Vitara. This is not especially fun.
• The Vitara was a terrible car.
The interior looked and was cheap. At least it was clean. With 240 000 km on the counter, the car was very tired. The suspension was awfully rough.
The transmission was also very tired, having a hard time deciding when to change gear. When climbing a hill, it was constantly doing 2 to 3 back and forth between gears before finally going to the lower one. Not especially comfortable.
The doors were simply terrible. They were so light they felt hollow. Also, the system to retain them open was evidently not working and we were obligated to hold them all the time when accessing our stuff on the back seats.
• Considering we took the car at the end of September (the 21st), I think winter tires should already have been mounted on the car. We faced snow and ice on the road when we were in the northern part (Akureyri and Mývatn). The tires were somewhat worn-out, not to a dangerous level but close to the level I change them in Canada. For the security of your customers, the car should have had its winter tires at mid-September. By the way, I saw other tourist cars from your competitors that were fitted with winter tires.
• After about 2000 km, we received an oil change warning. I promptly checked the oil level and appearance to make sure. It was properly filled and the oil was not even black. Therefore, it was simply the reminder that was not reset properly. Unfortunately, I was stuck with this yellow warning like in the dashboard for the rest of our trip.
• Three (3) times during the trip, I received an alert in the car about the radar system being deactivated temporarily. The first time was a bit scary as it appears like a major issue since the console indicator turns red. I finally understood it was not critical but, it remains not fun when you’re in remote areas in another country.
• The roof tent maintenance left a lot to be desired.
First, the pillows were so damp they were unusable. Furthermore, they did not look very clean. Then, the main mattress was also very humid (not damp though).
I understand it’s very complicated for you since you keep the cars outside. Meanwhile, the roof tent would benefit from being opened upon check-in and left to dry for some time – or at least, minimally, the mattress.
• The check-in process could be improved.
Contrary to the check-out where customers usually have plenty of time, upon check-in, we are usually on tight schedules because of the planes strict departure times.
Meanwhile, the process is not optimized for this and the staff processes requests based on the arrival order. Even though I planned some extra time, I still had to wait about 25 minutes for a 3 minutes check-in process.
I suggest you reserve a specific line for check-ins. And since customers indicated you when they plan to return their car, it’s easy for you to plan and use the staff for check-outs when no check-ins are expected.
Magnús, please take these comments constructively. I really enjoyed my trip. I just think the rental experience could have been a notch more pleasant.
rented a vehicle
in September 2022